Tuesday, October 18, 2011

New main character ideas #3 and #4: Darren and Draven (Ryan)

I just don't get it.
Why, why, WHY is it whenever I try to write a story, my thoughts and ideas jump around like wild animals?

This time, just when I was going to write Brian in for a few chapters, all of a sudden Ryan Gosling's film Drive started giving me ideas, and pretty much got rid of Brian. The end result: Darren and his student, Draven (note: Ryan is his real name). I got the idea for both of them by playing Gran Turismo 5 when I put Goodyear racing tires (in the GT Auto section in GT mode, they're strangely marked as wheels belonging to Polyphony Digital!) on a 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS, colored Victory Red. If my Supercar series were to become a TV show, I would've had Jake McDorman play Darren. His student, however, is undecided, as I thought Landon Liboiron should play him, but now I'm having second thoughts.

In season three (the third in the series I'm working on right now), Darren and his student, Ryan are aspiring professional racers. Both attend classes at Stanford University, out in northern California. However, life isn't easy for Darren's student, Ryan, when he gets a letter inviting him to the tournament, as everyone has stepped up their game after seeing the dominating performances by Veronica and Zack, two past tournament champions. In addition, mysterious racers from all walks of life are showing up, ultimately forcing Ryan to investigate and find out who they are.

The idea behind the character of Draven, or Ryan originally came in the fall of 2007 when I was taking classes in my third year at Wake Tech. On the way to my next class one morning, I run into someone my age, but with a medium build wearing a short-sleeved shirt and tan shorts with white and blue (I think) skateboarding-style shoes (I think they were the DC brand), and he kinda resembled James Lafferty a little, but with brown eyes. Unfortunately, I didn't speak to him and kept on walking.

It's obvious I got the idea for the character of Darren by seeing the trailer/TV spot for Drive.

The last month was hectic, and could be more of the same. I just hope new ideas that come don't jump around like wild animals...


No comments:

Post a Comment